Generally outdoor activities are restricted during rainy season. Bangalore rains are never consistent. It rains in one part of the city and dry in other parts. Traffic jams are big problem during rainy season. People generally restrict themselves from going out and staying inside during rains. However there are some activities which are enjoyable during rains, which I have listed below.
- Bangalore has a Toll charged ring road called NICE Road. This road is very beautiful and this is one of the enjoyable drives during rainy season. There are flowering trees along the way which you will rarely see on other highways, especially near NICE office close to Mysore road. The Banglaore - Mysore NICE expressway starts near Mysore road and it has some beautiful views till Mysore road exit. While you can drive in any season, during rains its especially beautiful.
- Driving to Hesaraghatta Lake and surroundings.
- Shivasamudram - Around 2 to 2.5 hours drive from Bangalore. The falls are in full flow during rains and its a treat to watch. Falls are located on the banks of the river Cauveri, about 100kms from Bangalore. Huge Cauveri River splits into two parts and falls down 75 metres deep into the gorge. These two twin waterfalls, Gaganachukki and Bharachukki are one of the top waterfalls in India. Monsoon time gives the best view of its mighty force.
- Machanabelle --- This place has been discussed a lot , its very close to Bangalore city, near the big banyan tree. When we had gone to the place the view was excellent but we could not go near the water as it was closed due to some incident. Activities like rafting, swimming and fishing are common here, but you may have to go through the famous companies which provide adventure tours ( thrillopia, adventure nest etc). During monsoons, the Machanabelle Dam overflows and it’s quite a sight to behold.
- Hogenekkal Falls - Another good place to visit during monsoon. You will have to carry a raincoat, The falls are in full force with lot of water, its a treat to watch. The mist coming out of the falls seems like smoke. This place is very crowded, and parking takes long time during weekends.
- Nandi Hills - When we had visited Nandi hills during Rainy season, there was a cloud cover and we were above the clouds. The scene was breath taking. After some time the clouds starting moving out and we got the full view of the surroundings. Monkeys are a menance in this place. But still the scenes and the proximity to city make it a worthwhile visit.
Links from WWW on similar topic.